I made these Blackberry Almond Sandwich Cookies last year and have been anxious to make them again. I decided to make them heart-shaped this time and substituted the raspberry jam for blackberry. If there’s anything better than raspberry it’s blackberry.
Blackberry Almond Sandwich Cookies
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, (2 sticks) chilled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
1. Adjust oven racks to upper middle and lower middle positions. Preheat oven to 350. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper (I didn’t).
2. In a food processor, finely grind 1 cup flour and 1 1/2 cup almonds. Add 1/2 cup sugar and remaining flour and continue to process until combined. Add chilled butter and vanilla and pulse until dough forms.
3. Roll out dough to 1/2-inch thickness, on a lightly floured work surface. Using a 2-inch round cookie cutter, cut out cookies, rerolling and using any leftover pieces. Arrange cookies, 2-inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 15 minutes, or until light brown around the edges. Switch and rotate the cookies sheets halfway through the baking process for even baking. Cool for 5 minutes on the sheets. Transfer to wire rack.
4. Place the remaining sugar in a bowl. Quickly, spread 1 teaspoon of raspberry jam on the bottom half of warm cookie, top with a cookie to form a sandwich. Roll cookie in sugar. Place back on wire rack to cool completely.