Prep time: 15 min
Baking time 2 hours 30 min
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- 2 1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 drop food coloring, if desired (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200*F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a metal or glass mixing bowl, whip egg whites with an electric mixer, until foamy. Gradually add in sugar, while containing to whip at medium speed. When stiff peaks form, add in the vanilla and whip until just incorporated. Divide meringue if you choose to use more than one food coloring for color variation. Transfer mixture to a large pastry bag. Pipe the meringue out onto the lined baking sheet using a large star tip, space 1-inch apart.
- Place the meringues in the oven with the oven door ajar (place a wooden spoon handle in the door to keep it from closing). Bake for 2 1/2 hours, or until the meringues are set and ry. Cool completely before storing in an airtight container. meringue cookies work best when baked on a day with low humidity.