Brett’s homework this week is to make something from recycled items. I recently came across this tutorial on how to make Recycled Plastic Beads Necklace from plastic bottles so Brett’s project was a perfect excuse to give it a try. It’s a great activity for Earth Day as well.
It’s super easy and the beads look so neat! We just made them into a necklace because I wasn’t sure what else to do with them but I think gluing them down on something to make a collage would be interesting too. Brett and a friend spent nearly 1 1/2 hrs. on this project mostly coloring but they loved it!
Recycled Plastic Beads Necklace
- Plastic water or soda bottles
- sharp scissors
- heat gun
- Sharpie markers
- stretchy necklace thread
- Cut water or soda bottles into strips, about 1″ wide.
- Children can color plastic with permanent Sharpie markers. Remember to protect your surface.
- Adult: wrap plastic bottle strip around a pliers and hold it tight.
- Heat with a heat gun until melted.
- Set down on a tray to allow it to cool. It takes just seconds.
- Thread onto string to make a necklace or glue to a piece of cardboard to make a creative art display.