It’s not easy to come up with gift ideas for my child care group, but play dough is always a good idea. They love having their own container of play dough. Candy cane play dough gift jars are the perfect filler for Christmas stockings or gift bags. Print the free snowman label to put on top.
Candy Cane Play Dough Gift Jars
Here’s the play dough recipe I used. It’s the same play dough my mom made for my siblings and me when we were kids. The best play dough, I think! This play dough recipe contains Cream of Tartar so make sure you have that on hand. I made two batches. One is plain white and the other red. You can add peppermint if you want it scented.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup salt
- 2 tablespoons cream of tartar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Food coloring if desired
- 1 Tablespoon extract (peppermint, vanilla, coconut, lemon, etc.) (OR about 5 drops, ¼ teaspoon, if using essential oils)
- Mix flour, salt, & cream of tartar in a medium cooking pot.
- Add water, oil, and if desired, food coloring and extract/oil.
- Stir over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes stirring constantly.
- When mixture forms a ball in a pot, remove.
- When cool enough to touch, knead until smooth.
- Let cool, put in a plastic bag, and refrigerate to store.
You may want to make a double batch if making play dough for more than one child.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- McCormick Red Food Color, 1 fl oz
- Empty 12 Pack Clear Plastic Slime Storage Favor Jars Wide-Mouth Plastic Containers with Lids for Beauty Products, DIY Slime Making or Others (8 Ounce, White)
- Frontier Cream of Tartar, 3.52 Ounce Bottle
- Dandan DIY 50yards Multi-Colors Colorful 5mm Wave Bending Fringe Trim Ribbon for Clothes Dress Sewing Flower Making Home Party Wedding Decoration Lace Ribbon Craft Supply
- Avery Round Labels for Laser & Inkjet Printers, 2.5", 90 Glossy White Labels (22830)
Amount Per ServingCalories 621 Total Fat 15g Saturated Fat 1g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 13g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 28315mg Carbohydrates 106g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 3g Sugar 0g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 13g
I also added glitter to the white play dough making it glittery or like my husband said, “like snow from Frozen”. After making the play dough, layer it in the jar as desired. I layered it red/white/red. I used plastic jars like these from Michael’s.
These adorable labels add just the needed element to make them look extra special. The free printable label is available at the end of this post.
Then I used ric rac trim to decorate the side of the jar. The foam snowflake sticker holds it on.
Kids will love this little jar of play dough made especially for them! A perfect activity for those holiday breaks.
Download the Snowman Labels
Printable Snowman Labels
Print the labels on Avery Round Glossy Labels. Please print a test page first and adjust the alignment of images as needed.
Here’s the link to the Word Document: