I loved this pipecleaner weaving idea I found on Pinterest and so did my kids. I appreciated this activity for the many qualities: simple, yet different, quiet AND non-messy, fine motor-focused, simple sewing or weaving, resulting in colorful sculptures.
What more could you ask for?
- Plastic Canvas
- Cut plastic canvas to desired size and shape.
- Push pipecleaner through canvas and fold end in so it doesn’t pull through.
- Continue to “sew” using the pipecleaner.
- Fold end over when done sewing one length.
- Start again with another color.
Pipecleaner Weaving is a great activity for toddlers and preschoolers. There’s not sharp needles or yarn to keep threaded into a needle that frustrates children when it becomes unthreaded. Pipecleaners are soft and colorful. Remember, it’s the process, not the product.