What’s the way to mom’s heart? A handprint on anything! Especially those little handprints. We all know how quickly they turn to be handprints but those small little handprints remain, forever in our hearts. I try to make something different every year with my child care children to give to their parents, so this year we made Keepsake Mother’s Day Handprint Dish Towels.
Keepsake Mother’s Day Handprint Dish Towels
I discovered these great fabric paint colors at Michael’s. They were all together and it made my decision easy! They are currently trendy colors – not sure what you call that style that’s all llamas, tassels, unicorns, and succulents?? Anyway, I’ve used other fabric paints in the past and they can leave a thick textured finish. It hasn’t really been a problem, but I liked the idea of these paints being a “soft fabric ink”. The Plaid colors I have here are:
- Real Yellow
- Fruit Punch
You just need a few simple supplies for this project:
- Iron on paper (if you want to add text)
- Fabric Paints
- Flour Sack Dish Towels
- Paint brushes
- Paper plate (for holding paint)
- cardboard or paper bag (to protect the table under the fabric while painting)
1. Iron the dishtowel. If you don’t (like I didn’t) you may end up with creases in the handprints (like I did). Put the cardboard or paper bag under your dish towel to protect the table.
2. Squirt some paint on a paper plate. Paint the child’s hand. Press hand down to make a print.
3. Repeat as desired. We did left hand, right hand, left hand, right hand in each color.
4. Allow your towel to dry. Leave it laying flat or carefully hang it up.
I like the flat, soft finish of this paint.
5. Print out text using Paint or another program. Mirror text before printing. I use Ink Jet transfer paper from Best Blanks. I could have done a better job transferring on a couple of these. I think I rushed it, but the iron on paper is good quality!
We wrapped our towels in colored paper, added a handpainted card and tied it with tulle. The towels turned out so pretty!
Happy Mother’s Day!
More Mother’s Day Ideas
- Mother’s Day Coloring Page
- Owl Always Love You Cards
- Mother’s Day Poem/Handprint Keepsake
- Ladybug Planters & Watercolor MOM Cards
- Printable Flower Bookmarks for Mom
- Clay Fingerprint Tags
- Painted Mugs for Mother’s Day
- Mother’s Day Photo Lid Keepsakes
- Mom Mother’s Day Cards