Make a quick and easy My Little Monster handprint template with your little monsters to commemorate the Halloween season! Download the template at the bottom of this post. It’s free, it’s cute, and you can make it yours! Handprints are special and parents love them. This activity is meant to be a keepsake. In early childhood education, open-ended child lead process art experiences are best.
👻 My Little Monster Handprint Template
- Cardstock to print the template on
- Googly eyes, different sizes & colors preferred
- Paper plate for paint
- Tempera or acrylic paint in various Halloween colors
- Wet paper towel
- Black Sharpie
- Stickers, optional
If using acrylic paint, be sure to protect surfaces and clothing. Acrylic paints dry a little faster so you need to work faster too, but they make wonderful handprints and dry quickly.
- Print the “My Little Monster” handprint template at the bottom of this page.
- Gather the paint you want to use for this project. Use a variety of colors. I’d suggest: orange, green, yellow, purple, red or teal.
- Squirt paint on a paper plate. Tip: use a different paintbrush for each color.
- Paint the child’s hand in sections. Older children can do their own. It’s likely they will smear all the paint together, so you may want to have a demonstration and conversation ahead of time, explaining how to do it. That way, children will understand to use different paint brushes for each color and section of their hand.
- Carefully press the hand covered in paint onto the paper. Life straight up, without twisting or smudging.
- Wash hands.
- After the handprint dries, glue on googly eyes.
- Draw smile face.
Make a Card: Turn it into a card by printing 2 on a page. Fold a piece of construction paper in half and glue the “sweet as pie” page to the front. You can also make a full-page card by gluing it to a piece of colored cardstock or construction paper.
Help your kids write heartfelt messages inside and decorate the exterior with stickers, glitter, or drawings. These handmade cards make thoughtful gifts for grandparents or friends, adding a personal touch to any occasion.
More Monster Activities
- Grab that Monster Game
- Make Monster Masks
- Play Pin the Eye on the Monster Game
- Make a Monster Stickers