Originally I saw this idea to use tangram shapes or PLAY DOUGH AND PATTERN BLOCK PUMPKINS to make jack-o-lanterns on Munchkins and Moms. Check out her site, she has some great ideas for play, including this Spider Web Painting activity. I found some other fun play dough ideas for Halloween too.
Our tangram shapes came from our Mother Goose Time kits, but you can also find them on Amazon. I would recommend plastic pattern blocks for this activity since they are washable.
Using orange play dough, we shaped pumpkins and then chose shapes to make jack-o-lantern faces. As an added bonus, the kids discovered that they could remove the blocks and just see the indentations the shapes made.
This is a simple idea for the month of October, to incorporate pumpkins, Halloween, sensory play, shapes and fine motor development as well as creativity.
More Play Dough Ideas for Halloween
- Spider Play Dough | Fantastic Fun & Learning
- Printable Halloween Play Dough Mats| Learn Create Love
- Pumpkin Play Dough Invitation to Play | I Heart Crafty Things
- Monster Eyes Halloween Fine Motor Skills Activity | Little Bins for Little Hands
- Textured Halloween Play Dough | One Time Through
- Halloween Play Dough Tray | Cutting Tiny Bites
- Play Dough Monsters
inside a pumpkin
Saturday 29th of October 2016
[…] Pumpkin Tangrams & Play Dough […]
Play Dough Monsters
Monday 26th of October 2015
[…] Play Dough & Tangram Shapes […]