Originally I saw this idea to use tangram shapes or PLAY DOUGH AND PATTERN BLOCK PUMPKINS to make jack-o-lanterns on Munchkins and Moms. Check out her site, she has some great ideas for play, including this Spider Web Painting activity. I found some other fun play dough ideas for Halloween too.
Using orange play dough, we shaped pumpkins and then chose shapes to make jack-o-lantern faces. As an added bonus, the kids discovered that they could remove the blocks and just see the indentations the shapes made.
This is a simple idea for the month of October, to incorporate pumpkins, Halloween, sensory play, shapes and fine motor development as well as creativity.
More Play Dough Ideas for Halloween
- Spider Play Dough | Fantastic Fun & Learning
- Printable Halloween Play Dough Mats| Learn Create Love
- Pumpkin Play Dough Invitation to Play | I Heart Crafty Things
- Monster Eyes Halloween Fine Motor Skills Activity | Little Bins for Little Hands
- Textured Halloween Play Dough | One Time Through
- Halloween Play Dough Tray | Cutting Tiny Bites
- Play Dough Monsters