Some of the preschoolers in my group need to work on their cutting skills. To encourage practice and work on those goals, I set a cutting bin made with holiday wrapping paper, ribbon and scissors. It’s a fun way to get kids using scissors and let them get their hands on wrapping paper that they usually don’t get to play with.
Create a Holiday Wrap Cutting Activity Bin
- Cut small pieces of wrap. They are easier for little hands to hold and they will be more successful cutting across a piece of smaller paper.
- Choose papers with individual images that invites cutting them apart.
- Add curling ribbon or yard. It’s fun and challenging to cut!
- Provide a variety of scissors for differing abilities. I have loop scissors for beginners and regular child sized scissors too.
- Empty paper and add fresh from time to time to encourage more cutting.
Loop scissors are designed for those with physical disabilities or coordination problems but they are also wonderful for beginners because the scissor blade re-opens automatically, making them easier to use.
Follow Stacy @ShareRemember’s board Preschool – Christmas and Winter Activities on Pinterest.
Trim the Tree Dramatic Play for Preschoolers
Thursday 11th of December 2014
[…] girls also found some curling ribbon in the Holiday Wrap Cutting Bin so they put some ribbon on it too, which is a great […]