Quinoa with Black Beans and Corn
1 tsp vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped OR 2-3 tsp minced garlic
¾ cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
1 ½ cups vegetable broth
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (or less if you don’t like spice)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 (15 ounce) can corn kernels
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp lime juice
Chopped red pepper (optional)
1. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan or skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion, garlic, and sauté until lightly browned.
2. Mix quinoa into the pan and cover with vegetable broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
3. Stir corn and beans into the pan and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in the cilantro and lime juice.
Sometimes I leave the cilantro out if I forget to pick it up at the store….It’s still good without it. Also could add red pepper when sautéing the onions and garlic.
- Top with sour cream and serve as a main dish or side.
- Or fill the mixture inside a pita or tortilla.
- Put it on salad.
Leftovers keep well in refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Okay to freeze too.