One of our favorite activities from July’s Art Studio theme was the Starry Night Sensory Play. We took our inspiration from The Starry Night painting by Vincent Van Gogh.
The Starry Night is a painting of a scene at night with 11 swirly stars and a bright yellow crescent moon. In the background there are hills, in the middle ground there is a moonlit town with a church that has an elongated steeple, and in the foreground, there is the dark green silhouette of a cypress tree. (Wikipedia)
See our Starry Night inspired door hangers and the rest of our preschool art show here.
Starry Night Sensory Play
- Shaving Cream
- Liquid watercolors or food coloring (blue, purple)
- Gold glitter, optional
- Dispense shaving cream onto tray.
- Allow the children to explore it. How does it feel?
- Look at The Starry Night picture. What design do you see in it? Swirls. How can we make swirl designs?
- Add drops of blue and purple food coloring or liquid water colorings. Blend the colors. Make swirl designs.
- Sprinkle with gold glitter for “stars”.
- Create a beautiful Starry Night!
Kids love shaving cream and there are so many ways to play with it. I love this art inspired twist and so did my kids. Look at the swirling colors.
Add a little glitter!
Beautiful colors and sparkly glitter.
Blending colors and making textures in the cream.
The trays help contain the mess. Easy clean up – just rinse off!
If you are concerned about using shaving cream in your classroom or with your children, please read this: Using Shaving Cream in the Classroom
More Shaving Cream Fun
- Everyday Shave Cream Play // Teach Preschool
- 13 Ways to Play with Shaving Cream // Simple For For Kids
- Shaving Cream for Kids // The Artful Parent
Famous Artists Kids Crafts and Activities - The Crafting Chicks
Friday 30th of June 2017
[…] Starry Night Art Inspired Sensory Play from Things to Share and Remember […]
Mess Free Painting Kiwk Stix
Sunday 6th of November 2016
[…] get me wrong, we love messy! We do lots of messy art like syringe painting or Starry Night Sensory Play but sometimes, less mess is very […]
Preschool Art Show
Thursday 25th of August 2016
[…] Art Studio. We made such amazing art! Piles of it! We learned about The Girl with a Pearl Earring, Starry Night by Vincent Van Gogh, and art techniques. Part way through, I decided to host a Preschool Art Show. I’ve been […]