Make this fun and healthy snack to go along with your preschool dinosaur theme! Fun to make and eat! Pretend you’re a dinosaur while you chomp down this big tree.
We made two different versions – one with vegetables and one with fruit. You can also use just one pretzel rod.
Eat a Tree! Jurassic Tree Dinosaur Themed Snack
- Cream Cheese
- Pretzel Rods
- Broccoli & Grape tomatoes
- OR kiwi & raspberries or strawberries
- plastic knife
Discuss: What would you eat if you were a herbivore?
Explore: Invite children to explore the ingredients and taste a little bit of each. Which ingredients would an herbivore dinosaur eat?
- Invite the children to wash hands and work surfaces.
- Follow the directions on the Recipe Card to create a tree snack.
- Pretend to be a brontosaurus or other herbivore and try to eat the snack without using their hands.
Assess: Did the child identify the ingredients that were vegetables/fruits? Did he or she serve himself the portions to create the snack?
Reflect: How can you use snack time to learn about the family cultures and traditions of your children?