Sometimes while I’m working, I have an idea. I was washing out tomato paste cans and thought, “What could I use these for?” Any early childhood education teacher thinks of this on a continual basis – nothing gets wasted, except the food you cook for those kids. Just kidding. Sort of. Then I thought, “A snowman!” as I lined them up on the counter. Finally, I got to this project for a recycled can lid snowman ornament that was forming in my mind.
Make a Recycled Can Lid Snowman Ornament
- (3) 2″ can lids – I used small tomato paste can lids, removed with Safety Smooth Edge Can Opener
- black felt cut in a hat shape
- ribbon scraps for scarf and hat decoration
- small buttons
- Sharpie markers
- craft wire – I used 20 gauge
- small sticks for arms
- hammer & nail
- wire cutter or needle-nose pliers
- hot glue gun
- Wash can lids.
- Tap holes in lids for wiring with a hammer and nail. Top lid will have two holds to attach wire. Middle lid, top & bottom, bottom lid, hole on top.
- Wire lids together with small lengths of wire. Clip ends and twist in so they are not poking out or sharp.
- Draw face on snowman as desired.
- Glue on buttons.
- Cut hat shape and glue on. Decorate as desired.
- Glue stick arms on.
- Tie on ribbon scarf. Secure with hot glue if needed.
More Handmade Ornaments
- Let it Snow Ornaments
- Wood Block Photo Ornaments
- Rustic Wood Slice Fingerprint Wreath Ornaments
- Cinnamon Stick Ornaments
- Personalized Sled Craft Ornament